Saturday, February 23

Buenos Aires


Jan 30
Arrival in buenos aires. Get off the plane, my suitcase lock doesn't work, its stuck. Oh wait, I just need marina's strength to open it. Thinking of all those stories you hear about airport sequestrations(I have resolved to start using spanish cognates more in english) and thieves. Get to taxi. get ripped off by the taxi, but arriving at the hostel alright. Walked around, stumbled upon a park that is infested with cats. Why are there tons of cats in every direction you look? Met a girl at the hostel who had been traveling throughout South America and is leaving tomorrow. Seems fitting that our first day here is her last...passing the torch.
New day. Met my host mother to store my stuff. She seems open and warm. Rona and I go exploring to the aeroparque in order to find plane tickets. We get lost for a while, but it was fun. I didn't eat anything that day until 5 or 6 at night, so I was starving. I bought a chicken sandwich and ate it on the way home. While waiting for the bus and ravishing my sandwich, a boy no older than me was pulling a cart down the street with many belongings and 3 kids all under the age of 5. Poor. One in particular stared into my greedy eyes and I into her envious eyes. I knew that the hunger that I felt was nothing compared to what this girl ad already felt in her life. I felt no compassion at the time. What can you do? You can't give everyone who is hungry your sandwich, but I could have given it to this girl. I feel guilty and I don't. This is what I came to see and feel.

No comments: